30 January 2010

CHICKENING OUT AT ST. PETER'S

After visiting my love, the Pantheon, we were free in Rome, with the only instruction "be in class on Monday". Me and a few KStaters decided to visit St. Peter's before the spring, pre-Easter crowds arrived. The museum and Sistine Chapel are still on the to do list.


You will notice a trend with my pictures: the Corinthian column. They're my favorite detail and a fascinating exploration of the differences of various structures.



The most difficult thing in Rome to photography is the baldacchino at St. Peters--the giant bronze structure over the main altar is ALWAYS blurry because of the overhead windows. But a slight miracle:



Most of the bronze doors on churches in Rome and the surrounding areas are recreations or 'modern' additions, as the Vatican needed so much bronze to create this giant piece, that it simply melted down 'pagan' church doors and coins. Then my adventurous group got down to the mission of our visit: climbing the cupola of St. Peters. 230+ plus stairs take you to roof of St. Peters, where you look up at the dome.



You cross the roof to get to the next few stairs inside the main dome of St. Peters.

This is where my adventure stopped:



Yes, that's the baldacchino below me. Holy height. A small, fenced in walkway wraps around the main dome of St. Peter's and leads over to the next stairs into the dome's double shell. I turned green at the height, sucked up to the wall, and wouldn't move. So Renae and Chris went on, while I scurried down the 'up' stairs. Sigh. Maybe next time, when I know what's coming at me I'll be able to do it.

We spent a good amount of time in St. Peter's, taking it all in before the rain began. So in a slight drizzle, we headed for the Metro to the trainstation. Our aching feet were telling us it was time to head home, so we caught the 645 train home, sleeping most of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment